Title: Development & Communications Manager
Healthy Democracy is seeking an experienced and driven advocate for political change to join our Oregon-based team in the position of Development & Communications Manager. Healthy Democracy is a nationally recognized, Oregon-based, 501c(3) organization working at the cutting edge of the movement for deliberative democracy. We work to advance innovative and powerful ways for the public to engage in the democratic process and improve our political discourse. This full-time position will plan, oversee, and implement Healthy Democracy’s fundraising and communications activities.
Healthy Democracy’s flagship program, the Citizens’ Initiative Review (CIR), convenes randomly selected groups of voters, in an official capacity, to evaluate ballot measures. The results of the CIR are published in the statewide voters’ pamphlet in order to provide a trustworthy source of fact-based information at election time. After a highly successful test run of the CIR in 2010, the CIR was adopted into law by the Oregon Legislature in 2011. In 2012, Healthy Democracy worked on behalf of the newly appointed Oregon CIR Commission to run two CIRs. Oregon’s CIR is recognized as national first and is widely viewed as a model for election reform and civic engagement.
We are currently supporting Oregon’s new CIR Commission, developing strategic new reform programs based on the same principles as the CIR, and working with national foundations and partners to bring the CIR to other western states. See www.healthydemocracy.org for additional information about our programs and current projects.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
We are looking for an experienced professional with the right combination of skills, demonstrated success in a non-profit or campaign setting, and sense of purpose to join us at this exciting time. The position will be based out of our Portland office.
The Development & Communications Manager will work closely with the staff and Board of Directors’ fundraising team, to develop and execute HD’s fundraising, outreach, and focused communications strategies. These include:
1) Planning, supervising, and executing our Oregon-based outreach and communications efforts, events, and strategic campaigns;
2) Developing, supervising, and executing our membership, major gifts, and fundraising event strategies;
3) Providing leadership to the staff and Board of Directors to achieve our annual and long-range fundraising goals;
4) Managing and tracking of all grant proposals, donors, and related contacts.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors on annual fundraising plan and goals; standard metric reporting; draft annual report.
- Provide leadership and training for staff, the Board of Directors, committee members, and other volunteers in the fundraising process.
- Set appointments with donors for staff: Executive Director, Policy & Projects Director, and Development and Communications Manager; participate in donor cultivation and relationship building.
- Manage development of all fundraising and outreach related materials (online and print); work with vendors and consultants.
Communications & Outreach:
- Plan and manage logistics for communications activities, outreach events and strategic advocacy campaigns.
- Plan and manage logistics for social media and online outreach activities (duties shared with Administrative Coordinator).
- Manage media inquiries.
- Plan, develop, and manage content creation for press releases, website, guest editorials and all related organizational copy.
- Manage data regarding outreach contacts, tracking and follow-ups; conduct research to identify new contacts (duties shared with Administrative Coordinator).
Memberships & Sponsorships:
- Plan and manage HD membership program, goals, incentives, membership activities (duties shared with Administrative Coordinator).
- Plan and manage HD volunteer support activities (duties shared with Administrative Coordinator).
- Data management of donor profiles; tracking and follow-up of gifts and pledges; conduct donor research to identify new prospects (duties shared with Administrative Coordinator).
- Solicit corporate sponsorships and perform related activities.
- Create and update annual grant calendar to track deadlines for submitting grant proposals and reports.
- Project–manage the preparation of all grant proposals and reports.
- Conduct research to identify new grant prospects and partnerships
- Support program event activities, out-of-state outreach activities, and online training events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
We are looking for someone with a passion for civic engagement and improving our democratic process to join a small team of dedicated professionals. The Development & Communications Manager should be outgoing, entrepreneurial, and enjoy working in a fast-paced political environment. Ideal candidates will possess at least 3-5 years of successful fundraising and event management experience (nonprofit or campaign experience), strong communications and advocacy skills, and have a substantial knowledge of effective outreach organizing, communications, and fundraising strategies.
Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3 – 5 years relevant work experience. Candidates should possess the ability to work under multiple deadlines, have excellent project management skills, be able to work with a diversity of stakeholders, demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, and have a high degree of computer literacy and database management. Some travel, primarily in state, will be also required.
Exceptional candidates will also possess a successful track record of securing foundation and grant funding, knowledge of Oregon politics and political processes, and prior public speaking experience.
Compensation: $45K – $55K DOE. Full-time exempt. Generous PTO, paid holidays, flex-time, and health coverage benefit.
Location: Portland, Oregon
Closing Date: February 28. Candidate submissions will be considered as they are received, so early submission is encouraged.
To Apply: Email applications only. Do not call. Send electronic copies of: 1) cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for this position, 2) resume, 3) writing sample, 4) and contact information for three references to: email@example.com.
Note: Applicants will be emailed to verify that their application has been received. Please do not call to check on your application status. The Search Committee will respond to applicants of interest directly.
Healthy Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.